Thursday, July 24, 2008

Grilled Cheese and afternoon tea

All I eat when I am in England are grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches. I think that I am a little afraid of everything else. I don't eat meat so that rules out about 3/4 of the menu and the other portion I can't decipher, except for toasted grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches. These are the American version of grilled cheese except cheesier and yummier!!! Another thing the English have right is afternoon tea. Why is it in America we have the mega-coffee giants that burn their coffee beans to make it taste bitter yet we will spend $4.00 easily on one of these burnt specialties? I do love a nice cuppa (the English term for teat) in the afternoon. Every few stores, there is another tea store. Starbucks is a thing that hasn't really caught on in these small towns and it is oddly refreshing.

Well this week we have been a little more adventurous. Ashley, my mom, and I decided we would go on a journey to North Wales, which is about 2.5 hours away from my sister. Jason was kind enough to let us borrow his GPS system so we programmed it and were set to kick back and enjoy the ride. This GPS system must be wanting to play tricks on us because it was not taking us on the main highways, which of course would be the most logical, instead it was trying to take us on these farm roads. When I say farmroads, you have to picture driving down a road the size of a parking lot space. I am not kidding. It was that big. It is a farm road so there are many tractors that speed down it and if you come head to head with one of these tractors, you a goner. So my mom was driving about 8 mph (a little on the fast side), and we traveled about 10 miles in 45 minutes. After realizing we were going no where fast we decided to buy a map. You can't beat the old fashion devices! We ended up the right track and had the most beautiful journey. The ocean was in the distance and we were driving through the lush, green mountains. I felt like someone should be playing bagpipes in the car to set the perfect mood.

Even though the grilled cheese is fabulous and tea is wonderful, I am a little homesick. I am trying to soak up all I an of my gorgeous niece and nephew because I am not sure when I will see them again. I have tried to take more pictures this week. Miss you all!










The farm road we traveled on for more than 45 minutes. This is supposed to fit two cars!!!







The drive up to North Wales. Unbelievable!






More of Wales







A river runs through it. This river ran right through the little town we were staying in.










Is this the next David Beckham or Tony Romo?












Are you kidding me with this face?










Sophie wanted in on the action.















Sophie smelling the flowers.













Posing with the scarecrows at the Victorian festival.
Happy at the pub.

7 comments:

Kelly Hutcheson said...

Ok, that farm road is out of control!!! I can't believe it! So glad those mean tractors didn't get you!! Miss you!! Your N&N are too cute for words! I wish they lived closer!

Rayna said...

Sam,
I miss you! Those better be some good grilled cheese if that's all your eating! I'm so glad you're having fun and keep adding pics, I am living in envy through you.

Kelle said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I want to be there! I can't wait to hear all the stories! Now come home already!

Deborah Fisher said...

I am going with you next time!!

Steph C said...

Beautiful pictures! I am just so happy you are back Skye and I missed you and we are ready for some Sammy time:) I am happy you got to be with your family though.

Julie Frizzi said...

loved seeing you last night.......love that long hair and beautiful smile.

Heidi said...

OMG...afternoon tea!!!! how fun. so happy you are having so much fun!!! be safe.